Lindbergh's Solo Flight May 1923 GHM 129-8
The "Lone Eagle" first flew solo in early May, 1923 from Souther Field. Charles Lindbergh had come to Americus to purchase a surplus aircraft from the World War I training center. He chose a Curtiss JN4 "Jenny". He got the plane with a brand-new OX-5 engine, a fresh coat of olive drab dope, and an extra 20 gallon fuel tank for $500.
Lindbergh had less than 20 hours of instruction when he soloed. He practiced take-offs and landings for a week; then having filled up with forty gallons of gas, he set course for Montgomery, Alabama, to start his barnstorming career. Four years later Lindbergh flew alone in the "Spirit of St. Louis" from New York to Paris and into aviation history.
Erected at direction of a House Resolution adopted by the General Assembly, February, 1985.
129-8 Georgia Historical Marker 1985
President Jimmy Carter GHM 129-9
Warm Springs Treatment Pools GHM 099-8
Zion Episcopal Church Erected 1848 GHM 130-2
Schley County GHM 123-1
Harris County GHM 072-1
This county, created by Acts of the Legislature Dec. 14 & 24, 1827, is named for Charles Harris, eminent Savannah jurist. Born in England and educated in France, he served Savannah as Alderman or Mayor for 20 years, refusing higher offices. The first Court House was built in 1831 and the present one in 1908. First election was held in Feb. 1828. First county officers were: Sheriff Lewis Wynn, Superior Court Clerk Clark Blandford, Inferior Court Clerk Josiah W. Batchelder, Surveyor Absalom Beddell, Coroner F.A.B. Wheeler, Tax Receiver Burrell Blackmon, Tax Collector John D. Johnson.
072-1 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1954
Camp Sumter Confederate Prison Site GHM 129-3
Captain Henry Wirz 1823-1865 GHM 129-2
First Session Supreme Court of Georgia GHM 130-1
Georgia Warm Springs Foundation GHM 099-3
Noted Indian Trail GHM 141-5
Straus Home Site GHM 130-6
Straus Home Site GHM 130-7
Straus Home Site GHM 130-8
Talbot County GHM 130-5
U.S.S. Harris County GHM 072-3
This bell was presented to Harris County by LST 822, U.S.S. HARRIS COUNTY, commissioned Nov. 23, 1944. Carrying the commander of LST Group 68, she led fourteen convoys through enemy waters without a casualty. LST U.S.S. HARRIS COUNTY participated in the invasion of Okinawa, occupation of Japan, retaking of Iwo Jima, amphibious training operations at Inchon, Korea and Kimmu Wan, Okinawa. During the Korean War she was used for re-supply and logistic support. She aided in evacuation in French Indo-China. In June 1955 she received orders to lead an expedition to the Artic on a Re-supply Mission.
072-3 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1955