Dowdell's Knob GHM 072-6
The road extending one mile south traverses a spur which projects into Pine Mountain Valley and terminates in a knob I395 feet elevation above sea level overlooking a spectacular spread of the valley floor.
The knob was named for two pioneer Harris County settlers, Lewis & James Dowdell of Virginia ancestry who settled here in 1828.
While sojourning at The Little White House near Warm Springs, Franklin D. Roosevelt, 32d President of the United States, found momentary rest and relaxation contemplating the wide expanse of land and sky as viewed from the summit of Dowdell’s Knob.
072-6 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1957
Franklin D. Roosevelt Memorial Bridge GHM 072-8
Franklin D. Roosevelt Memorial Bridge
Pine Mountain Scenic Highway & this bridge, spanning historic King's Gap, are living monuments to President Roosevelt's abiding interest in the natural features of Warm Springs’ environs. He, personally, selected the location of this road atop Pine Mtn. & with Federal funds available, forwarded construction.
King's Gap, a natural break in the Pine Mtn. barrier, was the site of an early settlement on the stage route between Newnan & Columbus. King's Gap Post Office functioned from May 16, 1829 to October 7, I856. Bridge and Scenic Highway were built, 1934-1938. 072-8 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1957
Longleaf Pine Planting GHM 099-6
In the early years of Franklin D. Roosevelt's sojourn in Meriwether County, he observed that no great effort was made to replace trees on cut-over or burnt areas not suitable for agriculture.
As a demonstration of replacement, together with erosion and water-shed control, he devoted a little over five acres of his farm
to the planting of 5000 longleaf pine seedlings, in the winter season of 1929-1930.
The plantings were made in the area immediately south of this marker. A tornado in 1954 destroyed about half the original stand.
099-6 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1957
Noted Indian Trail GHM 099-1
Old Depot Site Warm Springs GHM 099-4
Here stood the little depot of the Southern R. R. where Franklin D. Roosevelt arrived & departed on his many visits to Warm Springs during the years 1924-1945.
A personal interest in the after treatment of infantile paralysis led him, in I924, to the thermal springs at Pine Mtn., the helpful aid of which inspired him to establish the Georgia Warm Springs Foundation to combat infantile paralysis on a national level.
During his presidency of the United States, his Georgia home was the Little White House where he departed this life, April 12, 1945.
093-4 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1957
Roosevelt Farm GHM 099-5
The Little White House GHM 099-9
Franklin D. Roosevelt came to Warm Springs in 1924 in hopes of recovering from the effects of polio. His love for the area and hopes for the Georgia Warm Springs Foundation led him to build a small white clapboard cottage on these pine scented slopes. The house was completed in 1932 while F.D.R. was serving as Governor of New York.During F.D.R.'s four elected terms as the 32nd President the cottage became known as, "The Little White House." It was designed by architect Henry Toombs who also designed many of the Foundation buildings.The cost was $8,738 including landscaping. The cottage, garage, servants quarters and guest house are preserved much like they were on April 12, 1945 when F.D.R. died of a massive stroke as he was sitting for a portrait. The “Unfinished Portrait” and many of F.D.R.’s personal belongings can be seen in the cottage and in an adjacent museum.
During the busy years between 1932 and 1945 F.D.R. only visited his beloved Little White House on 16 occasions while he and the nation struggled through the Great Depression of 1929 and then World War II. Many of the solutions to the "people problems" that beset the nation during his presidency came to F.D.R. as the result of his association with the people of this area.
099-9 GEORGIA HISTORIC MARKER 1995
This Was His Georgia GHM 072-7
Franklin D. Roosevelt was a frequent visitor (41 trips) to Warm Springs from 1924-1945. Dowdell's Knob was one of his favorite spots for both quiet contemplation and picnics. F.D.R. visited this spot overlooking Pine Mountain Valley as a private citizen, as governor New York and as 32nd president of the U.S.
He wanted more people to visit the area and urged the building of the scenic highway across Pine Mt. and the construction of the spur here (1937).
President Roosevelt had the grill built to help him enjoy picnics in his more formal style. He preferred linen-draped tables with hot dishes served from silver. In place of a blanket he preferred to sit on a chair or on an automobile seat placed on the ground.
F.D.R. came here to contemplate the upcoming founding of the United Nations and the Americans dying on Okinawa and in Germany during his final trip to Warm Springs, April, 1945.
072-7 GEORGIA HISTORICAL MARKER 1954